Wow, the past two months have been incredibly busy! We harvested 350 pounds of honey from our five hives with the help of family and friends.
I canned over 150 pounds of tomatoes – making stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. I still have a few pounds of tomatoes in the freezer to make tomato jam.
I also have several pounds of various berries to make into jam, raspberries that need to be made into chocolate raspberry sauce and 10 pounds of frozen Door County cherries to make into black forest sundae topping.
My vegetable garden is almost put to bed for the winter. After the CSA finished, I pulled up all of the warm weather crops and put them in the compost pile. I ordered 10 cubic yards of mushroom compost to add to the beds. As each bed becomes empty, the compost gets added and the soil turned over to mix in the added nutrients. I also planted 350 cloves of garlic and a couple dozen shallots. I’ve been planning on where the vegetables are going next year so the beds can be fully prepped this fall. In spring, all I will have to do is plant!
Monarch update: our little honorary pepper (the monarch chrysalis) never hatched. Just after it formed a chrysalis, we had a frost. In spite of trying to protect it with several layers of tarps and blankets, it didn’t make it.